Welcome to our blog. We hope you enjoy it. We blog mainly as a way to keep in touch with our far away family members, but have enjoyed keeping up with friends as well. We'd love to hear from you, so please comment. If you would like to link us on your blog, please don't use our last name or location. Thanks.

Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Living an historic moment

We are revelling in the history that has been made today. I don't care what your political party or views are, this is an historic moment! We listened to the speeches of Barack Obama and John McCain. I'll admit that I cried during both. I think elections are generally ugly and grueling, but it ended very respectfully and harmoniously. I really appreciated John McCain's speech. I think we have a great need for unity in our country, especially as we face the challenges ahead for our nation. I found Barack Obama's speech especially moving. I'll admit that I didn't vote for him, but he is an excellent speaker that can perhaps pull the nation together in a way that we haven't seen before. As he stated, it is amazing to see the progress that our nation has made. I hope we CAN see more unity, more "reaching across the divide" to solve problems.

If you haven't listened to the speeches, you should. If you didn't vote, you should have. Chris and I were talking about how this may be one of those times that your kids ask you about after they learn about it in history class. "What was it like when the first African American was elected President?" There are many wonderful things about this nation. I hope we truly can continue to see progress. After listening to the speech, I too would like to say, "Yes, we can!"

3 comments:

Shayla said...

I guess I need to watch those. WE don't have a TV so I missed it...but everyone is talking about it. :)

Ixchelle said...

I am looking forward to change. I believe that it will happen. Barak Obama is well loved in our community. I like him. I believe he helped us pass prop 8 with all te black voters.

BrookieT said...

History was made, that is a fact! Something that is not under dispute. We do need to become unified as a country despite any differences- because divided we fall! I have a great hope and optimism for the future...