Welcome to our blog. We hope you enjoy it. We blog mainly as a way to keep in touch with our far away family members, but have enjoyed keeping up with friends as well. We'd love to hear from you, so please comment. If you would like to link us on your blog, please don't use our last name or location. Thanks.

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Cakes and cupcakes

For starters, here's a picture of me and Gib-man. I don't want to move it to a different location in the post. So here it is. The rest of the post is mostly about Elsa, so why not start off with Gibson?

This, as all weeks seem to be, is a busy one for us. However, in preparation for Elsa's birthday soon have tried to do some special things with her. On Sunday we had some time and decided to make Elsa's cake early. I read that I could freeze a frosted cake and thought this would be the perfect solution to help ease some of the stresses of the week. So, we got online to look for a butterfly cake. I'm not sure how she decided on the butterfly, but I'm sure it was my suggestion because I thought, "how hard could a butterfly be?" She LOVED watching the videos on how to make the cake and wanted to watch all the cake decorating videos. We finally settled on this one because it looked the easiest to make and decorate. We had a lot of fun with all of the steps, and Elsa especially loved putting on the "stripes". Once again, it's not the most beautiful cake, but she had a lot of fun helping, and I felt it was one of my more successful cake decorating attempts (that just shows you how unsuccessful my other attempts have been). I'll try to post another picture after we have it all finished with the candies on it, and maybe at a better angle?

For Elsa's preschool class we decided to make cupcakes. I thought it would be pretty exciting for her not only to make them, but to share them with her class. So, since we had spent some time watching "how to" videos for the butterfly cake that's what she wanted to do for the cupcakes as well. So, I went to Family Fun and we looked through their slide show of cupcakes and she liked these. The cute little ladybugs looked easy enough to me, and had things that I thought I could probably find in town. I should have known, however, that you CANNOT find black licorice laces, black gum drops, or chocolate wafers in town. So, I had to do what any good small town girl does-improvise. I ended up with black jelly beans for the head--thankfully, since it's Easter time they had a bag of JUST black jelly beans, hooray!---I bought black licorice that I painstakingly sliced small enough to be really strange antennae, and I bought shortbread cookies that we just showed the chocolate side. Oh well. They turned out fairly decent, considering it all, a little disproportionate, but decent. The most important is that Elsa got to help cut the cookies for the wings, put on the heads, organize the antennas while I cut them, and just be a great helper through the little project.
Oh, I almost forgot. Chris reminded me last night that I need to post the we are expecting a baby in mid-August! We are all really excited-especially the kids-even thought it's still many months away. We had an ultrasound two weeks ago and they said , "80% sure it's a boy." So, there you have it!

11 comments:

lindsy said...

Hey, congratulations! love the cupcakes =) Happy birthday Elsa!

The Muries said...

Congrats! That is very exciting! We are expecting our 4th in June. The boys can't wait although we are going to let the baby's gender be a surprise. It is fun having kids. Happy birthday Elsa!

LindsC said...

Great improvising! We too have had to do that many times. How fun! and of course congrats on the new baby.

Heather said...

The cupcakes look fantastic! And congrats again on the little one! Happy Birthday Elsa!

dcscrivy said...

First off, you and G-dawg look A LOT alike in that first picture. Making the bday cake is always fun. They look great, but I can tell you that even in the big city it can be really hard to find all those specific candies, I always have to improvise too. Addy and I made the frog cupcakes and I highly recommend those, they are easy and cute. We will have to call elsa and sing to her, Addy will like that.

gwen said...

Congratulations on the new baby and on making a nice cake and cupcakes with the help of a small child!

Shantel said...

Way to go you creative and fun mommy! Cute! Cute! I'm so happy to hear of a new little one on the way! How lucky your kiddos are to have you as their mother!

Debbie said...

I seriously can't believe how Gibson has changed. Wow, his hair has grown long and he looks so much older. I bet Elsa was in 7th heaven baking with you. And everything turned out lovely. I'll be calling Elsa tomorrow.

Shayla said...

congrats!!! and cute cakes :)

Betzy said...

Yay!!! Another baby to spoil and love and mother as only you can :-D Congratulations!!!
Love the cake and cupcakes they look great...good job!

Brianne said...

Congratulations on the baby! I feel like Josh and I have some catching up to do!

P.S. The cupcakes look fantastic. I hate ladybugs but these ones are cute!