Welcome to our blog. We hope you enjoy it. We blog mainly as a way to keep in touch with our far away family members, but have enjoyed keeping up with friends as well. We'd love to hear from you, so please comment. If you would like to link us on your blog, please don't use our last name or location. Thanks.

Saturday, October 24, 2009

Puke-a-rama

So today was the big day of our Floating Pumpkin Patch. We book the swimming pool and fill it with pumpkins for kids to come and pick them out while swimming. This is the second year we have run this program. Last year we had a modest turnout. This year the pool was packed. We divide the kids up by ages to alleviate some of the crowding, and also so 9 year-olds aren't throwing 3 year-olds out of the way in search of the biggest pumpkin.....
Anyway, during the middle of the first session I realized we didn't prep enough pumpkins so I jumped in the pickup and raced to the store (thank goodness for a small town, the store is only three blocks away). I load a cart up as far as I can stack it with pumpkins and run to the checkout (thank goodness for a small town there are no lines, the disadvantage, the checker wants to chat as she slowly weighs each pumpkin). I rush back to the pool and throw the pumpkins in the water. I discover that while I am gone some of the kids have taken all the pumpkins and put them up on the side unbeknownst to my co-worker so some of the kids haven't gotten a pumpkin yet. We throw the pumpkins back in, all is well, almost. The second session is just starting and some of the kids and parents from the first session start getting out. I am watching Audra and my kids swim when, out of the corner of my eye, I see a girl start puking, once, twice, three times. I run to the lifeguard and ask him what to do if someone pukes....... Imagine slow response, uncertainty..... "Uh, get the kids out of that section of the pool." I don't think that is the best idea. Luckily, the pool director is just leaving with her kids. I run over and ask her what we need to do. Sadly, the pool has to be evacuated and cleaned with chlorine for EIGHT hours. My coworker and I start running around telling everyone to get out of the pool (imagine Jaws, ok that was a little bit exaggerated). In hind sight, I am not sure why the lifeguard didn't just blow the whistle. We forget/don't have time to run and tell our front desk co-worker to stop letting people in for the second session. So now we have all these people getting out of the pool and all these new people trying to get into the pool. Nobody can really tell there is a cloud of vomit in the middle of the pool. Luckily everyone seemed understanding about why we didn't get to run the other sessions. Who really wants to swim around in puke anyway?

10 comments:

Mom said...

ewwwwwwwww!

kc and k said...

Oh, that totally reminds me of when I "lifeguarded" at the wadding pool for kids 8 and under. Kids that age seem to puke all the time when swimming. And, they don't seem to mind swimming around in it either! So gross!

Sorry your activity didn't turn out so well. You do the funnest things.

Rob, Jodi, and Trey said...

Sounds like Caddyshack and the Babe Ruth Bar. Hopefully, no relatives of Judge Smalls were responsible :)

dcscrivy said...

OK, that is nasty! I am sorry that you had to witness the vomit coming out, cause that is just nauseating in itself. What a stressful day when things don't go as planned.

BrookieT said...

Ah, one of those stories that are funnier later...I must say I was entertained by the telling of it. I wish they would do something fun like that in our neighborhood.

Robyn said...

I could invision the whole episode as I was reading. Sounds gross. I hope no one else gets sick and that everyone still has fun with their pumpkins.

Debbie said...

What!!!!? No pictures?

gwen said...

Who jumped in and got the remaining pumpkins out of the pool? ARe they still there? You lead an interesting life. . .

Brianne said...

The part of the story that interests me the most is that pumpkins float! That's crazy!

Uncle Jonah said...

We had a girl puke at the blood drive. I realized then that I can handle people puke more than dirty diapers from babies.