Welcome to our blog. We hope you enjoy it. We blog mainly as a way to keep in touch with our far away family members, but have enjoyed keeping up with friends as well. We'd love to hear from you, so please comment. If you would like to link us on your blog, please don't use our last name or location. Thanks.

Monday, July 11, 2011

Spartan Tough!!

We did it!!  This last Saturday we had our Spartan Race at Soldier Hollow, UT.  We had a great time, and are sore to prove it!  Here are a bunch of photos and a few video clips of all the fun!!  Thanks to all our support group!  It was fun to have everyone there to cheer us on. Chatting before the race.  Since Megan is in the Missionary Training Center preparing for her mission to Tulsa, OK, Kelly's friend Kate joined us.  We missed Jared and Michelle and their family who weren't able to make it either.
 We dubbed ourselves the "Lightning Sisters" in honor of Megan(since she is serving a much greater cause).  Kelly and Megan had this little song called "Lightning Sisters" from when they were really little.  It's kinda a family joke.  We thought a more appropriate name for our speed and pace would be "rolling thunder", but, oh well!
 The race was a total of 8 miles with 18 obstacles.  There were pretty LONG stretches of running, and a lot more uphill than we thought we would have.  The race started with a 1 mile climb and then a 1 mile downhill.  Pretty intense.
 Here is a group of runners along the ridge line.  It was a beautiful view up there, but it was quite the climb.  Every time we thought we were to the top, there was more uphill!
 If you look closely, you can see these runners starting the steep downhill stretch.  That was very slippery and challenging in and of itself!
 There were many wall-climbing obstacles that our photographers didn't get because there were off the beaten spectator path.  Here is where we had to drag a cinder block up and then down a hill.
At about this point in our race the kids race started.  It was 1/2 mile obstacle run.  No mud.  Lani was the only one who wanted to do it.  Great job Lani!!
 
This was the second of the cargo net obstacles.
 Aerial view of the rope climb.
 If you look closely, you can see my sisters helping me try and climb the rope.  It was so great that we could help each other through each obstacle.
 Pull the tire up to the top of the bridge and let it down slowly...
 If you look closely here, you can see the tire that I'm pulling up.
 Yay for sisters!  I don't think any of us could have done the monkey bars alone, so we didn't even try!  If you couldn't do an obstacle you were supposed to do 30 burpees!!  It didn't take long for us to get tired of burpees!  I won't admit to how many burpees I should have done, nor to how many I actually did!
 The soap wall.  This wall was covered with soap and water.  I'm still in pain from my crash on this one.
 This was a VERY long stretch of barbed wire. You really had to get low in the mud to keep from cutting yourself.  I actually got a little tear in my shorts, but no cut!
 Jumping the fire!!

 Through the mud pit.  This was very uneven, so by the end we were laughing hard because each of us fell at least once!
 
 
We locked arms to go against the gladiators just before the finish line.



 WE DID IT!!
 
It was definitely HARD!  I'm glad I trained some for it.  If I ever do it again I will train a lot more hills, and do a lot more arm strengthening in addition to my distance running.  I really love my sisters!!

12 comments:

Chong said...

That is insane!! Looks like fun...or torture!

dcscrivy said...

I missed the slip off the wall in real life, but I watch that video over and over and I am surprised that you didn't get hurt worse. Your head literally bounced off the wall, it really was like wipe out. Ouch, I am ready to sign up for next year! How about you?

Krissy T. said...

Wow, that looks like quite the adventure! I'm glad you all made it through alive and well, that's quite the accomplishment!

garrynkim said...

I'll have to show this to some friends of mine who are contemplating doing one of these. Looks fun, but tiring!

Heather said...

Madness :). But the fact you can do that makes it so cool. It was a good excuse to see you!

strivingforsunshine said...

Amazing woman you!!!! Congratulations on such a great accomplishment.

Emily said...

Holy Cow, that looks CRAZY! There is no way I could have done even 1/4 of those obstacles. You guys did great!

kc and k said...

You and your sisters are so cool! Love it!

Monica said...

I missed it!? I kept telling Russ to ask Dan when racing day was but we have been busy lately. I'm sad we missed it. That is a crazy race! Looks like you had fun even with all the bumps and bruises.

Emma said...

You go girl!!! Love the bounce off the wall.....ouch!! I'm so proud of you guys - SISTER POWER!

Dawn said...

That is SO awesome!! You guys rock! I love all the mud and how awesome to be able to do it with your sisters.

gwen said...

I can't even imagine WHY you would do this--but good for you!! Fun? maybe after you come out alive and look back. . .