Welcome to our blog. We hope you enjoy it. We blog mainly as a way to keep in touch with our far away family members, but have enjoyed keeping up with friends as well. We'd love to hear from you, so please comment. If you would like to link us on your blog, please don't use our last name or location. Thanks.

Sunday, September 19, 2010

nose, piano

Here are some pictures of Elsa, Gibson, and Clara one morning at a peaceful time. Elsa was reading a book to Lu and Gibson was reading a book. I was sitting in the chair. I decided to take some pictures because everyone was happy and quiet. That doesn't seem to happen often enough.


On Thursday we got to take a little unexpected trip to the doctor's office. Chris had taken the kids for a walk in the morning while I slept in (he has been so good to me and helping me get as much rest as possible as I slowly continue to recover) and I guess they found a bunch of soft pellets from a pellet gun. Gibson was fascinated with the "little balls" and picked up a bunch of them. Later that morning, all of the little pellets surfaced and Elsa and Gibson were happily playing a little game with them. Shortly after they started their game Gibson came up and told me "I put a BB in my nose." So, I got a flashlight, and sure enough, a little yellow one. I tried to get it with tweezers, but he was NOT excited about that. We all loaded up and went to visit Chris at work, because we needed to double team this task. No such luck with that either. So, I finally fed Clara, and left her and Elsa with Chris at work so Gibson and I could head out to the clinic. They got us in fairly quickly and eventually got it out with some long tweezers. It took two nurses, the doctor, and me. One nurse holding his head, me holding his hands down, one nurse holding the light, and the doctor with the tweezers. He screamed and cried and cried and screamed. All the doctors and nurses told him "don't put things in your nose". Hopefully it's a lesson learned. Here's a very fuzzy picture of a BB next to a dime. It isn't very big.

Friday afternoon after we got back from my 6 wk. doctor's appointment we went over to the neighbors to check out a piano they wanted to give away. We decided we would take it. I've been wanting a piano for a long time, and although this is an old, heavy, painted upright, it's in decent condition. so, they neighbor crew got it out of the room it was in and wheeled it across the street. It now sits in our living room. We're going to move it in to Lu's room sometime when we can get a crew over here. It's nice to have and I have already enjoyed playing it. I've missed playing the piano--not that I'm good. I can really only play some hymns, but now I can expand my repertoire now that I have an instrument to practice on. I'm going to start teaching Elsa the basics, so we'll see how that goes. She's excited for that. Here's a picture of our piano. It's kinda yellow.

5 comments:

Monica said...

What kids will stick in their noses! I found a rock in Jacob's nose once. It was probably 2 or three times bigger than that little pellet. I tried to get it with my fingernails but that didn't work. Somehow I was able to get it with tweezers. I think he really wanted it out so he didn't wiggle around too much.

I think your piano looks great. It is really nice to have one. We got one soon after we moved into our home and I love playing it (when I get the chance).

Heather said...

Congratulations on the piano!!! Incidentally, just this past week Afton shoved a wad of kleenex up her nose so far I couldn't get it out. She was not a fan of the tweezers either, but I figured it would just disintegrate... sure enough, right before naptime, she sneezed and the wad came out. Too bad BBs don't dislodge so easily.

gwen said...

Things up the nose keep mom on her toes! We've all had one of those experiences. I'm glad it turned out ok. I love the piano! I couldn't live without mine--jI love playing for my own enjoyment and sanity! Enjoy. I taught piano for a number of years, and most kids don't have the eye-hand coordination before 2nd or 3rd grade. If you try too early, it
s too frustrating and they lose interest. So, don't push it, just let her know how muvh you rnjoy playing, and she'll have a natural curiosity and want to learn.

Diane said...

Awesome, we haven't had anything up the nose - yet. And I am totally jealous about the piano! That's just another reason I am impatient to have a house... Maybe we won't be able to buy one until I learn to have a little patience =)

Mom said...

I think every mother has a "my kid stuck something up his nose" story. My oldest started smelling really BAD in the vicinity of his face. When discovered the "Halls" (ironic, huh?) cough drop wrapper up there, it was SOOOO GROSS and DISGUSTING. We were able to get it out ourselves with some long tweezers, though.

Cool piano. I am glad I read your post--- you will be sorry.... tee hee. No really, My second wanted to learn piano when he was 3, and our teacher told him he had to wait until he could read. So he learned to read, then went to her house and read a book to her. He started at the age of 4, and has become quite a wonderful piano player. I think it is his favorite thing next to the Gospel and his Mom. 3;o)